View Single Post
Old 09-02-2009, 04:08 AM   #1
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Odd one for the day

Last week took a two nighter just to get away from yard work. Right away felt and heard a clank when coming to a stop or starting out. Stopped and rechecked hitch and pin box. All seemed in order. I had just changed the pin box and this was the first outing with it. All I could come up with was that the king pin was smaller and that caused the clunk. When we got home the first thing I did was measure the new king pin and the old one. Same size. Spent time scratching head and enjoyed a beer. Next day retorqued everything. Test pull, same bang. Yesterday completely took the hitch apart. Have a B&W hitch. Attached to the base is a square tube that locks into a frame under the truck bed. Put tube into hole and noticed that was slightly loose. Had about 1/16th play. Put in a shim to stop movement. Everything back together, test pull, noise gone. Why had the noise not been there before the pin box change? It took another beer to figure it out. A couple of weeks ago had scrubed the spray on bed liner and put a coat of protectant on it to make it look nice. It turned out slippery. The base of the hitch was slideing back and forth on the turck bed that 16th of an inch. Moral of story - do not put slippery stuff on the bed liner if you have a B&W hitch.

Sure do love that new MorRyde pin box. Why did I wait so long to get it? Our comfort is much improved!!!!!!
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote