Thread: Cracked wheel.
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
mobil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10437
Cracked wheel.

Last August we had a sidewall blowout on one of the Montana's Marathons. It gave the rim edge a slight flat spot. We bought 5 new G614's, and THAT rim mounted ok, held air, and showed no cracks. Thought we were good to go. After we got home this spring from a winter in Florida I found a crack in that wheel while giving the Monty a wax job. A SERIOUS crack (well, any crack is serious)that just looked like a hair, but, it went through the entire spoke! After moments of blank staring and trying to get color back in my face, I realized how lucky we were it didn't implode. I think we were being watched over on our trip home. I called Tredit and had a new wheel, lug nuts and metal air valve (about $120)in less than a week. Soooo, anyone who's had a blowout, inspect your wheels CLOSELY and often. Mine may have been cracked since the blowout but it wasn't visible and wasn't felt until months later. I waxed this Monty (always including the wheels) last Oct. and Jan. and didn't notice any crack. I realize I should have replaced that rim when the tire blew, but you know, hindsight.........
mobil is offline   Reply With Quote