View Single Post
Old 07-30-2005, 03:34 AM   #14
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Having a stetch as a Fleet Manager, I learned a bit about tires. Load range is a misleading rating. Load range "D" at what temperature, speed, and wear rating? Except for quite expensive tires you rarely can find all 3 ratings "A". Load range "D" for our trailers is by my thoughts quite acceptable. I look for "A" ratings on speed and temp and a "B" for treadwear. This information is the small print on the sidewall of the tire. Usually hard to read. Lightly rub print with chalk and that helps.
The IR thermometer is invaluable for watching bearings and tires for trouble. If a tire is starting to seperate it will run noticeably warmer with the IR meter. Long before a visible problem shows.
The tire moniters can scare you, pressures will go up significantly as you run. Especially in the heat of day. As mentioned the "Sunny" side will run higher due to extra heat.
Do not exceed the max pressure as posted on the tire. With the addition of the IR meter you have the tools to "Tune" the pressure of your tires. Experiment with different pressures to find the best of Ride, Fuel miledge, Tire temp.
Sounds like you have made more that enough precations for a safe trip. Just do not go into information overload and be in a mild panic your whole trip.
HAVE FUN!!!
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote