View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 08:59 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ellis, our 2007 3400RL is heavily loaded. Last time we put it on a scale it weighed 14,620 lbs. That includes 2/3 tank of fresh water, other tanks empty. Propane tanks full. Of that weight, 11,760 is on the axles with 2860 on the pin. Our rig was within the ratings for the 6,000 lb axles, though not by much. Since we went to the 7,000 lb axles, we're easily within the axle rating for the new 7000 lb axles.

However, Roger pointed out something I did not know about, that the Canadian rating differs from the USA rating because of the brake lining size. In other words, if he is correct (and I assume he is) then the actual axles on your rig are the same as the 7,000 lb axles on the USA units. It's just that Canada says the brakes don't merit a 7000 lb rating.

That said, I know last summer right at the time we got the 7000 lb axles, Dexter went to different brakes. Self adjusting brakes. I do not know if the shoe/lining size changed or not.

If your 6000 lb (Canadian) axles are the same thing rated at 7000 lb axles in the US, then you have the same axles we got last summer. And we have had zero problems with bending/alignment or tire wear with these new axles. Good luck.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote