View Single Post
Old 07-28-2009, 06:07 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
This could be a problem only if your truck is raised. If your truck is raised a bit by larger tires, suspension modifications, the angle of the front of the 5er could be too severe. Then you risk the front underside of the 5er behind the pin coming into contact with the rear of the truck bed especially with driveway entrances/exits, going over some RxR tracks and stuff like that. It is recommended that the 5er be towed as level as possible. Many of us might have very slight upward or downward angles, but not by much.

A friend of mine reversed the 5er SOB trailer suspension so the springs were on top of the axles and his 5er rode higher and gave him the clearance he needed. Some of the negatives of doing this is an increased height of your rig when being towed, you'll need to pay attention to low underpasses and tunnels, and you might have a handling problems in windy conditions. And when you are set up, you might need additional steps up. My friend bought extra steps for his rig.

For me, with a stock height truck, only one time I encountered a campsite that was a pretty good drop from the road, that I had very little clearance between the 5er and my truck bed, but I was able to clear it just enough. If I had bigger tires or a higher stance, I think there would have been contact because my truck's back end would have been higher.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote