View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
NEW VENTS UNDER STEPS

On our 3455SA, the vents under the steps going up to the bedroom and bath act as the cold air return for the furnace located in the basement. The stock vents were pieces of wood with openings cut in them that could not be closed which allows hot air into the rig from the basement during warm weather when running the air conditioning. So my solution was to remove the stock vents and construct some new ones that would accept floor heat registers that can be closed or opened depending upon the season. I used 4” X 14” registers for this project. I also installed furnace filters behind the vents to keep flying insects from entering the living area from the basement (thanks Ozz for that idea). Below are a few photos of the project and here is a link to the entire photo album of the project: Stair Vents.

Jack

These are the stock vents that came with the rig. They are open to the basement and cannot be closed off. They were not even a good color match to the rest of the wood in the rig.

These are 4" x 14" heat registers for the floor that can be opened and closed. I drilled a hole on either end of each register to mount them to the wood.

Here are the registers installed in the new stained and finished wood and ready to be installed in the rig.

I installed furnace filters behind the vent registers. I got this idea from Ozz on the MOC forum.

This is what it looks like with everything installed and buttoned up with the new vent registers that can be closed or opened.