View Single Post
Old 09-06-2009, 12:32 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Here's another endorsement for air bags. The advantage to airbags is that they are adjustable which will then allow for better aim of the headlights.

Before attaching the trailer and with the air bags at the lowest recommended pressure (mine is 5-7 lbs on both sides), I measure the top of the rear tire to the respective fender edge (mine is about 11 inches). Then I attach the 5er, and prepare for towing. The truck's backend is much lower now. Then I inflate the bags evenly on either side until the tire to fender distance is back to less than 11 inches. This will provide very close to the same headlight aim as before the trailer was attached. In my truck this is about 60-65 lbs pressure in the air bags.

I do not use the same 11 inch height otherwise the trailer angle is too high in the front, but not enough to cause issues (I hope).

I should note I have a 4x4 and my truck sits more level when unloaded than my 4x2 did where the rear end was much higher than the front. I think this is just the way 4x2's versus 4x4 sit. I also still have plenty of room between the 5er overhang and the sides of the truck bed.

I hope this is helpful.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote