View Single Post
Old 05-06-2019, 07:07 PM   #19
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Very touchy subject.
Lets do some math.
GVWR = 10,000lbs
From that number you need to subtract the weight of passenger, gear, hitch, etc, to find out what your remaining Cargo Capacity will be.
The following numbers are for examples sake...truck weight = 7,000lbs (my '06 F250 weighed more than 8,000). Passenger weight = 300lbs. Hitch weight = 75lbs. Not knowing what else you plan on carrying, I will not even guess a weight.
10,000lbs
- 7,000lbs
- 300lbs
- 75lbs
_________
2,625lbs

For this example, 2,625lbs will be the max pin (hitch) weight.
Using the 20% pin weight mentioned earlier (although I believe 21% or 22% is a better real world number) your future RV should not exceed 13,125lbs GVWR.
Your actual numbers may vary but based on this example I don't believe a big Montana is in your future with your F250.

A lot of people will tell you your F250 is fine. A lot of people will tell you that you need an F350 SRW. And others will tell you that you need a dually, PERIOD. I'm not here to tell you what to buy or what not to buy. That decision is entirely yours. Just do the math.

Also, for the life of me, I don't know how paying a government agency will change the factory ratings of your truck. (just saying)

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote