View Single Post
Old 02-02-2005, 08:53 PM   #10
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Mikes-Lady,
Welcome to the MOC gang. First it sounds like you have made up your mind and that is great.
I agree with the above. You will need to practice and yes you need to back up better than going forward especially by yourself. My first recommendation is to get the unit in a big empty parking lot and practice putting in spots. First pull into them and then back into them. As your starting to do these actions stop every few feet and look at your truck, trailer, tire placement and back-end trailer swing. You control them all and they do things your do not realize. The three magic words are "Practice", yes "Practice" and of course more "Practice". Since your going to run solo I would suggest a back up camera to help. It is not an end all but it does help.

Some place I saw a suggestion to use a white 3/8" to 1/2" rope to help guide you into a parking spot. You lay the rope out on the inside of your turn and keep your trailer tires just inside the rope. That keeps you on track and helps protect your blind side. Of course when you lay the rope out you need to make sure there is enough room on the blind side. Yes I had to say it. Sorry my training. Nothing is assumed. You check twice, measure three times and cut once.

Make sure you tow vehicle can handle the trailer you buy and is comfortable since it will be your Cadillac when parked.

Good luck on your research.

Ask all the questions you want and be ready for all the answers. There is a wealth of knowledge out here.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote