Thread: Truck question
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2019, 05:03 PM   #18
jetskier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22360
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
I did a bit of a search, and can't find where its recommended to mount a B&W hitch or any fifth wheel hitch behind the axle. Just curious as to why that would be possible or wanted. Sure doesn't sound smart to me .

If someone has a short bed ,and is worried about clearance the smart thing to do is get a slider or if you don't like the manual slider ,get an automatic . Almost sounds to me like B&W is trying to sell hitches without regard to where its positioned . I guess I will read further on the B&W in regards to whether they caution on mounting their hitches rear of the center of axle .

It's only the Ram setup that has the load placed rear of the axle centerline as an option. The B&W for the Ford puck system has it 1" and 3" in front due to the smaller footprint of the base. I have mine setup 1" in front to increase the clearance between my tailgate and the trailer when I'm lined up off angle. I didn't look into the GM mounts. Keep in mind, the Anderson hitch moves the load point back behind the centerline by about 4-5 inches as well. I guess it's no different than having a tag trailer that loads the rear receiver a few feet behind and unloads the front axle.