View Single Post
Old 03-15-2005, 12:49 PM   #9
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
I have the US Gear exhaust brake.

I was not comfortable hanging an extra 6-12lbs of wieght on the side of a REALLY hot turbo housing. The US Gear unit mounts just ahead of the muffler. Also, the US Gear unit will regulate the back pressure and provide better braking effort at lower RPM than most others.

I got it after experiencing trailer push down a steep grade in TN. We had taken our E150 5.8L van with the same TT two years before so I could directly compare the engine braking ability of both TV's.

We were planning a trip through mountains the next year and I wanted some extra help.

Last fall, we came down a long 5 mile 5% grade (with the US Gear unit installed). We stopped at a rest area at the bottom to check our maps and walk a bit. Just after we parked, a 1 ton duelly pulling a large enclosed trailer parked beside us. His front brakes were smoking enough that I was expecting them to burst into flames at any moment. The driver got out & just looked....

I pointed to the smoke and told my wife "That's why I spent $1,300." Her reply was something like "I understand now..."

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote