View Single Post
Old 04-24-2017, 01:03 PM   #52
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd727 View Post
His GVW of the truck isn't 13,900. It's 10,000. GM's max pin weight they gave him assumes the truck and all it's contents weigh 6,610.

FandHB, the only thing you can do is weigh your truck, fully loaded for the trip and then subtract that number from 10K. That is how much pin weight you can have, black and white. Divide that number by .2 and that is how much the 5'er can weigh, black and white.

The numbers are very simple, it's just that sometimes folks don't like the answer. The other issue is they try to make the numbers like GCWR, GVWR and max tow rating add up. They don't. They are each individual limits that must be honored.
I disagree with your statement in red. This is from Wikipedia, but many other sources say the same thing:
"The gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), or gross vehicle mass (GVM) is the maximum operating weight/mass of a vehicle as specified by the manufacturer including the vehicle's chassis, body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers and cargo but excluding that of any trailers."

When hitching up the 5th wheel, you must not exceed the GCWR (weight of trailer and TV) , axle ratings of the TV, rated towing capacity, and Tire load rating.

For example, my truck has a GVWR of 9200#, an actual loaded weight of 7900# (without my 5er hitched). The cargo capacity is 9200 - 7900 = 1300#, but that is NOT the maximum kingpin weight capacity (if it was, I wouldn't be able to pull ANY 5th wheel).

My CVWR is 22,000#. 22,000 - 7900 = 14,100# trailer weight, BUT, my maximum trailer weight (per manual) is 13,600# and that is my "do not exceed weight" when I go to the scale. In addition, my Rear Axle Weight Rating is 6084#, so when hitched up, at the scale, that is what limits my pin weight .

When I go to the scale, I weight the front axle, then the rear axle, then the two trailer axles together. The front axle should not exceed the GAWR on the door tag, the rear axle should not exceed the GAWR on the tag, and the trailer axles PLUS the pin weight (rear axle weight difference before and after trailer hitched) should not exceed 13,600#.