View Single Post
Old 04-13-2017, 07:24 PM   #43
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
FandHB

Now you have the weight numbers you need what is next is going to the scales and see what your TV weighs with everything in it that you intend to carry in the truck, full fuel, passengers, pets and anything else. Then subtract that weight from your GVW rating of 13,900 lbs and that will give your maximum pin weight.

The ratings on the new light duty trucks are much greater than the older ones. Our 2009 3500 DRW is rated for a GCW of 23,500. The new 3500 is rated for a GCW of 30,500.

Your 2016 2500 has a GCW rating 1,600 lbs greater than our 2009 3500 and that is what I expected. I would think you could tow our 2009 3665RE at its full weight of 15,909 lbs.

The real answer will be known when you weight your TV fully loaded without the trailer. The changes made to the TV will increase you weight some of them are added springs and boxing the frame all of which add weight to the TV. The weight GM gave you for your pin or cargo weight is based on a standard number for a production truck and doesn’t take into account the fifth wheel hitch and any other items that are included in you “package” that is everything listed below the line on the window sticker I think labeled additional equipment.

I spent a lot of time on the scales getting ours loaded so we were not over weight. We cannot load our trailer to its GVW rating without exceeding the GCW rating for the TV. I also weigh a couple of times a year these things seem to gain weight with age. LOL

I have pulled by permit 300 times more weight than an 18 wheeler operates at and loads 30 ft wide and 70 ft long and 24 feet high this is a very slow moving vehicle because the power and phone companies had to take down their lines and the local highway department had to take the traffic control (RED) lights down.

You are on the right track just keep it up but I think you are going to find out the 2016 2500 Duramax will pull your trailer and stay within the manufactures limitations.

Now I have a personnel opinion I really like the stability of the DRW but not the $1,200 I just paid for tires. LOL

Phil P
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote