View Single Post
Old 08-05-2006, 11:35 AM   #1
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
Went looking today

Getting ready to go to a bigger rig, and started looking at a few today. Went to 2 dealers, and saw Bighorns, Carriage, Jayco Designer and Montana's. Most all of the units are priced about the same, with the floorplan we are looking at like the Montana 3400. Here are some of my observations without going into great details:
Bighorns-Pretty nice rigs, but the dealer had not cleaned on the rigs. Alot of saw dust in cabinets, saw some minor QC issues, trim hanging, loose seals around slides. Had nice interiors, liked the Euro chairs, corian counters, underside storage area rubber lined, good docking station, cabinets. The deal killer for us, the shower are one piece which we want, but, my head was in the skylight over the shower to fit in it. Way to short.
Carriage- Nice rig. Upgraded interior, nice materials, no visable defects. Liked the TPO roof. The only unit we came close to liking the floorplan, the bedroom was a private room, which made it small. Also did not like the outside hookups, dump valves just sticking out in the open, looked easy to tear one off.
Jayco Designer- Real impressed with build quality, provincial maple cabinets we liked. Overall interiors are good, seemed that had alot of bigger than normal windows which opened it up. Euro chairs very comfy. One piece shower, but again, shower is short, so could be the deal killer.
Montana- As of now, top of our list. This was a 2007 3400, really liked. No visual QC problems, like new docking station. This rig had the black fixtures mentioned in another post, and we liked. Thought it gave the coach a more expensive look. Light fixtures upgraded from our 2004. Good underneath storage, closets cedar lined and bigger, liked the drawers pulling out all the way. Only negatives, cheap mattress, and one piece shower/tub, but at least I can fit in with out sticking head in skylight. Can see alot of improvements/upgrades in this rig.

On a side note, one dealer had a left over Cambridge. What a beautiful rig. I can't beleive they quite making these. By far the nicest 5er we have ever been in. Put most class A's to shame. DW was ready to buy, and actually the guy made a good deal, but just can't justify for our camping needs.

2004 Montana 2955RL
2002 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LT
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote