View Single Post
Old 04-21-2019, 06:11 AM   #33
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Rondo & Jeff - thanks for your answers which were good.

I will say this though - I've had an RV of some sort since my mid 20s, 1970 and a 5th wheel since 1974 amd have yet to have a water problem that can't be handled by, at a minimum, a very common CAMCO blue in line filter while traveling or a single or double cannister system as we are now using. We did live in an area with extremely high calcium and, worse iron and sulfur, but that water was never allowed in the 5er we had at the time and we had the biggest softener we could buy for that home. We do not like the taste of softened water nor do I need the tiny bit of carry over salt. As far as calcium buildup in the HW heater - I would see evidence of that on the kiychen and bathroom faucets - and after four plus camping seasons on this 5er, nary a sign of mineral buildup. Perhaps if we were full timers, and were using an in-unit washer/dryer would see a need. Using the RV only 70-90 days a year - not on our needs list even when treated Lake Champlain water tastes and smells like dreck pre filtration.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote