View Single Post
Old 02-15-2007, 03:00 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Excellent info, Dave. My Lariat has the folding arm rest, also. But I have the captain's chairs. I understand the console large enough for a laptop is on the Lariat, also. Not sure if it's only with captain's chairs and if it's available on XL and XLT trim levels. I think I prefer the folding armrest but will have to check it out before I say that. My steering wheel is leather wrapped but not as nice as on the kr.

The instant heat is something I will insist on if I get the Ford. I like that idea. I've given up turning any wrenches under the hood of any of the new vehicles! The 2 minute fast idle is on the 6.0 also but I don't think it's quite 1000 rpm. It might be though as I never checked.

Dave, I heard when you raise the hood the grille is part of the hood and raises also for better access. Correct?

I think the mirrors are the same size as on mine except the wideangle mirror is larger. I've been telling you I love these mirrors and get paranoid in other vehicles when I can't see as well in the mirrors. The new ones power fold as well as power extend, too, while mine manual folds. Dave, you should have seen that Civic in the wide angle mirrors, right? Nothing gets by those mirrors on mine. Nothing. No blind spots because of those mirrors. I'd assume the same on the new ones?

Dave, that engine is not broken in. From what I'm reading, it will leave you trailing it. Not sure if that's true of the LBZ, though. Oil changes. In the past, Ford required Motorcraft (their brand) oil until they tested other oils. Motorcraft is available at Walmart, by the way. Ford, for the 6.0, approves a number of oils including Rotella T synthetic, which is what I use. And I've been doing 10k mile oil changes for quite some time now. The truck is still on the full mark at 10k, towing or not. Oil is much better than in the old days.

Dave, Ford has built a great truck for many years (witness the 30 year sales king thing). This one is just even better.

I'm still out to school on what I'll buy. From everything I've looked at so far, for me and in my opinion the new Ford wins hands down. Especially when looking at the numbers, frame, brakes, etc. BUT, it's still a new engine and I'm waiting to hear reports on that. I'll be in the market about the end of June and in July. I'm open to all the brands but from what I've seen it's Ford's to lose (for me). And if the new engine isn't getting great reviews, then they may lose it. We'll see.

Thanks for a great report. Wish I could find one to test drive myself.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote