View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #28
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

John,
Glad this came up. I was just wondering how the system was working out. The hail obviously made some dents in the panels. What would you say was the biggest PRO for the panels? And what is the biggest CON? If you were going to do it again what would you do differently?

Thanks, Dennis.
Dennis,

I think glass panels will have better performance, because they can be tilted for same square inches. The Uni-Solar panels are more shade tolerant because they have a bypass diode on every cell, where glass panels only have 3-5 diodes (string of cell). Any one cell is shaded, it stops the output of that series cells.

I think there is a good chance glass panels would have of broke if hit with the hail I got hit with. You can walk on the sick on panels, they are tougher than the EPDM rubber roof.

Yes I would do same panels again. They say they are slippery, but I fine them no more than the rubber roof. I laid then out so I could step over them to get to the slides, which is why I used two 68 Watt and two 136 Watt. Maybe if there is room I would go with four 136 Watt, but would have to measure first to make sure they would fit. The 136 Watt panels are 18' long and the 68 Watt are 9' 4".
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote