View Single Post
Old 11-10-2004, 03:28 PM   #5
Montana_2180
Established Member

M.O.C. #2180
Thanks all, sounds like it is something I'm going to have to live with...

Steve, I'm not at all good with wiring...and I have a degree in Electronics! What did I learn??!

Oh well...

It also sounds like we did alot of the same preps, Steve...I too sprayed the "great Stuff" foam in the can into alot of spaces...I even found a big spot where my water pump is by my external shower...the lines going out thru that panel are wide open to the outside...filled that in nicely but made sure I could still get the hose in and out...

Also did the basement...I need to spend some time covering the drain low points, but one thing I did was to wrap heat tape and foam pipe insulation around the entire belly region plumbing...that was a JOB! My arms look like I went a few rounds with a wolverine (I'd have said cat, but I'm from MI and hence, a Wolverine fan! ).

So, if the low points do freeze, I hope the heat tape will keep the rest of the lines from freezing...

Which leads me to a few more questions:

When I wrapped the heat tape up in the foam insulation tubing, I stuffed the heat tape thermostats in there too, not thinking. Of course, I realized this after I buttoned up the belly. Now I'm worried they won't work properly because they will be too warm? Does anyone have much experience with this? Also, the heat tape instructions said not to wrap the pipes with foam tube insulators because it could be dangerous...of course, like a true male, I didn't read them until I was completely finished (well, not until I was wrapping the outside fresh water hoses...). From all I've read and also from talking to my neighbors, they've always done it that way and never had a problem.

I worry while I'm at work all day whether the trailer will still be there when I get home...should I be worried? The documentation made it sound like the tape doesn't get much warmer than body temperature, so how could it be that dangerous??

Advice is again welcome!
Montana_2180 is offline   Reply With Quote