Thread: Towing speed
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2019, 05:18 PM   #61
rayrogers10

M.O.C. #14531
Great question! For the last few years I have had a personal maximum speed of 65 MPH because my truck rear tires were at maximum weight capacity. I have a 305 RL which is very light compared to most Montana's weight, so my Goodyear Endurance have about a 40% spare capacity (trailer weight is on the tires is about 60% of the tires capacity at full *80PSI* pressure). On my 3/4 ton Silverado, on the other hand, I never wanted to go to 12 ply. When I weighed on a truck scale I found my rear truck was at max load so seemed like a good plan to keep my speed to 65 and keep the inflation to the same max of 80 PSI. I have found that usually the big rigs are right in the same speed zone, although I have yet to travel the real high speed corridors like I-15 in Utah. My tow was totaled a couple of weeks ago (the Monty sustained some damage, but is repairable) which has lead me to looking at a slightly older GMC ('05 vs '08) to replace my Chevy. It is a one ton with a flatbed and duel rear wheels. Be interesting to see how I feel about speed with a lot more spare in my weight capacity. (Sometimes it would be nice some better time ;-) especially in some of the less scenic places.
rayrogers10 is offline   Reply With Quote