Thread: Alaska 2019
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2018, 08:03 AM   #2
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Are you going to the rally next week? If so, some of us are going to be presenting information about going to Alaska. If you are not going to the rally, then I can pass along a few bits of information here. We went in 2016.

Fairbanks has the best visitor center of any place we have ever been. They have lots of information, free wifi, and also there is an attached museum. It depicts what it is like to live in Alaska. We found this to be very informative and interesting.

As for how long to stay in any one place, this is very personal. Everyone is interested in different things to see and do. Do some research online on what there is to see and do in various places, decide what interests you, and figure out how much time you need based on that. We wanted to see the place near Fairbanks where you can see musk oxen, but they were closed on the day we wanted to go, and we already had a reservation at Denali. From Fairbanks, you can drive up to the Arctic Circle. We did not go, but one suggestion is to not go when it's wet. The road is not paved.

We stayed outside of Denali Park at a campground located behind a strip of tourist shops and restaurants. It was very tight, but it worked. The wifi sucked, as is usual in most campgrounds, but we were lucky enough to be parked behind a cafe and used their wifi, which worked well.

Some places we found interesting:

Valdez - the road going there is very scenic, Valdez has an interesting history, and the Worthington Glacier was neat to see up close. You need to take a path beyond the boardwalk area and walk up to it.

Whittier - do some research on the place before you go. Some interesting history and buildings there.

Dawson City, Yukon - very historic and interesting.

Top of the World Highway - great trip, but take your time!

Some campgrounds are just gravel parking lots with water and electric. This worked fine for us. The RV is like a hotel for us, so easy in and out is best.

DO NOT stay overnight at Walmart in Anchorage. We heard horror stories of people being kicked out and fined in the middle of the night. We stayed at the Golden Nugget.

A current copy of the Milepost is a must. I wish they information that detailed about the roads in the rest of the U.S. and Canada! Our copy was the previous year's, which meant the road construction information was then two years out of date. The most current copy has the most current information as they are constantly updating it.

We plan to go back next year.

If you have any more questions, I am sure there are lots of people on this forum besides me who can help.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote