Thread: Flying season?
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 02:30 PM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I don't fly RC, but I have flown in a Lear 125 Flight simulator as pilot. Took it off and landed it. Long story for here. But I wanted to say - and I think you will get a kick out of it.

In the early to mid eighties, several of us HAM radio operators would get on a frequency and fly the Microsoft Flight Simulator, Cesna 172. If someone came on late we just gave them the coordinates and they would then "join or formation." Of course we could not see each other, but we could see the terrain and other features of that era of flight simulation. Sometimes, the newbie would crash. As a prelude to the crash he or she would give a narrative as to what was happening. Then crash.

On one occasion, one of the then "I'm monitoring radio frequency buffs," was listening in on a "crash." The called 911 and reported it.

Needless to say, that from that time on, all of our HAM radio flight communications was preceded and ended with the words, "THIS IS A SIMULATION," on order of the FAA and FCC for all of our formtion flying or whenever we were talking about flight simulator activity.

Thought you would get a chuckle out of that true story.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote