View Single Post
Old 12-16-2019, 11:03 AM   #48
DaveK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23470
Do it yourself

Amen to the person who said you'd better be a do-it-yourselfer to own an RV. Knowing what I know now, I'd never own an RV if I didn't know how to fix basic things. I'd venture to say a person who has NO knowledge of basic things is at risk of safety issues. When I'm towing, I'm listening to and feeling my truck and 5th wheel. If I had no idea or sense what is going on, it would be scary (my opinion). I am constantly inspecting tires, brakes, tires, and engine and transmission temperatures. I constantly listen to my water heater, ac, furnace, and inspect plumbing and propane systems.

We enjoyed a tour of the Montana factory. It was informative and I saw first hand that they just don't ship to dealers without inspection. If they find a defect on the factory floor, they go out in the lot where units are waiting to be shipped and inspect them. Employees and managers who make errors have to account for them. I recommended that everyone tour a Montana factory.

If you subject ANYTHING to the abuse an RV takes on the road, it would self destruct. We just finished a 15,000 mile trip across the US and Canada, and some roads were horrible.
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote