View Single Post
Old 04-30-2015, 02:50 AM   #9
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
When we "sold out" and went full time there were some pieces of furniture the DW didn't think she could part with, plus some tools I knew I couldn't part with. Ended up with a 10x30 rented storage shed plus a 24' enclosed trailer. We downsized most of that after a year or so but still paid for rented storage.

We also planned on staying full time for at least 5 years and possibly even more like 10. Ended up finding a house in Florida we really liked so now we are moving to more of a part time RVing status. But the furniture we got rid of wouldn't have worked in our new house in Florida anyway, so no loss there. As the years pass rented storage fees can mount up if you are paying $1400 a year or more.

We kept a local address by using our son's address for our new mailing address when full time. There were several reasons at the time why I didn't want to become a resident of another state, and/or use a mail service. Being a retired LEO I wanted to return to my department and qualify each year for my carry sticker, plus my health insurance is still tied to my retirement package. My son didn't mind having our mail sent to his house and we would set him up with large stamped envelopes that he could simply address to us where ever we where to get us our mail. But of course we went paperless on everything so it is rare that we get any first class important mail anyway.

Good luck Roger with your decision. We don't regret doing the full time life style for one second and could even go back to it someday.