View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 04:31 AM   #28
vibetech1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13291
Great post. After 10 years of part time rv'ing with 3 different rigs. 2 TTs and now our 2014 Montana 3900FB we have ALWAYS had our share of issues. We are currently in San Diego CA on a weeks vacation (our 4th trip in our new rig) and I just added the linoleum in the master bath is bubbling and coming up to our continously growing punch list of needed repairs. Yes we really wish things like this wouldn't happen but as a mechanic / vibration analyst for many years I know things like this do and will happen. Between the extreme hot and cold temperatures we experience in Bakersfield CA and the vibration the rig is subjected to going down the road it's very realistic to expect these types of issues weather it's a low end TT or a million dollar motor home. I've aways said as an owner of an rv it pays to be a handy man. Aside from everything I just said we still have fun with friends and family and love the rv lifestyle.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Artemus Gordon

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MDL

Well I thought I did the research before I just slapped down a chunk of change to get my 2014 3100RL Big Sky, to be delivered in February, but now you guys are making me nervous. I bought for the reputation, layout, and 4 season appeal. I certainly saw quality issues on the units in the lot, but was hoping that was due to the daily wear they get. Now it sounds like I should expect issues, maybe many, and be prepared to work through them with the dealer and mfg.

One frustration for us was that we put our order in about Nov 18th, had the floor plan we really liked in the bathroom, but guess what...THEY CHANGED IT ON US without any warning. I found out while showing a friend on the web. Needless to say I was surprised and saddened that my dealer didn't even know it changed. If this is how Montana works with the dealership, I'm scared how they'll work with an owner. My fingers are crossed, and I'll keep reading all these great posts to know what to watch out for. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what arrives.

One thing is for sure, there is a wealth of experience and knowledge on this site that is second to none! Thanks to all for the great threads.
It will be fine. Remember all RVs have issues. They are complicated homes on wheels. Your on a site where people can communicate about issues openly. Also remember some peoples expectations are perhaps higher than they should be. Cars, trucks, RVs have many components. Things can and do go wrong. It's how your dealer and manufacturer handle the problems. I owned very expensive boats. On delivery I always had a punch list, "issues". It's part of the process. My Montana has not been without issues. They all have been addressed. My buddy took delivery last year on a 1.4 million dollar Newell motor coach. It's been in the shop, many many times. It's part of the shake down. Your attitude and outlook on life will be important in this purchase. I learned years ago to listen to others with careful ears. Their problems may be overstated or simply blown out of proportion. Montana's are great rigs and will serve you well, just do a careful PDI and ask questions. Oh and have fun!
vibetech1 is offline   Reply With Quote