View Single Post
Old 05-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Ron: I suspect the problem is that RR won't let you access their SMTP server (which you need to SEND e-mail) if you are not directly connected to their network. When you are at home, RR provides the network connection (IP address) and you are inside their network. When using your MiFi you are on Verizon's network and assigned one of their IP addresses. The Verizon supplied IP address is outside the RR netwrok and unable to connect to RR's SMTP server. Consequently, you can't send e-mail. Strangely enough RR has no problem with you using another provider's IP address to access their POP Server so you can receive any e-mail they have stored for you.

There is no need to configure a different e-mail account just to use the MiFi. You only have to change the Outlook configuration to use a different SMTP Server. Not knowing which version of Outlook you are using, I can't give you the specific process. But get to your "E-Mail Accounts" box and click on "Change". You should get a new pop-up with fields for Your Name, E-mail Address, Server Information (Account Type, Incoming mail server, and Outgoing mail server (SMTP)) followed by Logon Information. Do a Google search on "setting up roadrunner email in outlook" and you should get lots of help.

You want to change your "Outgoing mail server (SMTP)" from RR's server to one that is generally available regardless of which network supplies your connection. WayenM uses Yahoo's (which may be AT&T network specific) and it seems to work. I use Gmail's (smtp.gmail.com) and I know it works on a whole bunch of different networks.

You don't have to change the SMTP Server name back to RR's when you are at home and connected to their network. It is perfectly acceptable to use GMail's SMTP Server on RR's network. They won't care (or know).

I have tried to use a browser-based E-mail for three months and have gone back to Outlook. The ads, limited real estate to work in, and missing features drove me nuts. At least with Gmail, I can use IMAP (which leaves the e-mail on their server) so I can use either Outlook or the web browser (in an emergency) to access e-mail. Now if I could figure out why my "Deleted" e-mails disappear rather than moving to the "Trash" folder, I will be done.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote