Thread: Satellite TV
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2019, 10:15 AM   #13
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
I went behind our convenience center wall and took everything loose (all the coax connections). I then used a Klein Tools VDV512-101 Explorer 2 Coax Tester Kit ($26@AMZN) to track down where all the coax went. I had to open up the wall plates behind the TVs. I completely eliminated the outside coax and disconnected the coax for the cable connection. This left the two remaining connections in the pix - ignor the splitter.

After much reading on several forums I decided against a Pathfinder or similar setup because of the restrictions in cable length and the inability to watch separate channels in two places in HD at the same time. I saved a couple of hundred cool ones by getting a Dish 1000.2, a heavy duty surveyors tripod, a pair of Wallys added to my home account and 50' of dual messenger coax. It does take longer to set up and point than a portable small dish like the Playmaker, Pathfinder or Traveler (which is tree limited view). The coax in the 5r works fine once I isolated which runs went where.
I think the Dish 1000.2 dish is a potential solution but it should also be noted it is limited to certain satellites specifically 110,119,129 western arc satellites whereas the counterpart to this type of dish is it will NOT receive signals from those three sats without equipment manipulation which is very complicated.

Point being this type of dish is not a practical for North American Travels, however it is a great option if you are limited to regional travel. While the wast and west specific satellites can be used for oposite coast sats they are limited to fewer satellites which will limit programming. There is a reason there is not a dual coast dish in this config.

For those that are full time or parked for extended periods the 1000.2 or 1000.4 are great as the dish's are subject to damage while transporting especially the LNB feed arms.

However the 1000.2 and 1000.4 dish's will provide a better signal hands down over the tailgaters/playmakers. but the 1000. series also take a lot of storage room up.
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote