View Single Post
Old 02-20-2008, 11:02 AM   #20
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
LeaseIt: OK, we bought our 5th wheel in Albuquerque NM.. 8.75% sales tax but as I recall RVs only had 3% (2 - almost 3 - years ago so don't remember the exact numbers.) Don't know anything about reciprocity but when we got the unit back here to Kansas I went to the Riley County Treasurers office to register it. They charged me 7.85% (KS state, county, and city) taxes again -- even though I had proof that I had paid taxes in New Mexico. County Treasurer said that I needed to get back with the dealer and get a refund from them because Kansas tax is paid at the time of registration. Took several months and a lot of phone calls and letters but did get it back. Bottom Line -- best check with the state you are going to register with because it appears to be different everywhere.

Now, back to the original item of LLCs; there is a gentleman that teaches with me. He is also an Insurance adjuster for several companies and has his towing vehicle, trailer, ATV, and several other items titled and registered in the name of the LLC. When he does his taxes they are all depreciated as business expenses because he uses them when he goes out to tornado / flood / other sites when needed for insurance adjusting purposes.... This, I feel, is a valid use of the LLC and what it is intended for. The use to avoid taxes is not and we, as ethical and moral taxpayers should abide by what is right... Those that don't should pay the taxes and coincidently, any fines delved out by the proper taxing authorities!! That is my soap-box item for the day.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote