View Single Post
Old 02-19-2008, 06:21 PM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Leaseit

You can purchase anything anyplace and you would pay sales tax applicable for that State.
Incorrect. Sales tax on a title vehicle is home rule. Regardless of where you buy, you pay state and local sales taxes for where your reside or "adobe". It is unlawful for an out of state vendor of a titled vehicle to collect taxes for that state. If taxes are not collected at sale, they are paid at registration in your home county. Technically, nomads are not exempt. Adobe is where you "primarily" reside the majority of the time.

Here is Colorado's law - punishable by up to $50,000 and 1 year in prison (I think my sales taxes were about $2,600)

Quote:
quote: As a general rule, Colorado residents are required to register their motor vehicles in this state. At the time of registration all applicable taxes and fees must be paid. Setting up a limited liability corporation in another state for the purpose of evading Colorado taxes and fees is tax evasion. These are not legal methods for eliminating sales tax on vehicle purchases.

Vehicles must be registered where the individual purchaser is domiciled.

The Colorado Department of Revenue considers this type of activity to be illegal tax evasion pursuant to CRS 39-21-118(1) and CRS 39-21-118(3). The Department issues inquiry letters and assessments to those believed to be participating in these illegal activities. Review the reference material below, and direct any concerns you might have to our representative.

http://www.revenue.state.co.us/Fairshare_
Dir/wrapprnt.asp?title=Unknown&incl=
special_purchases_recreational_v4
Interesting how taxes are only a percentage of what you felt you could afford to begin with - so why should you feel inclined to skate the obligation because you paid $500K for a rig?

It might be a free country but Colorado is an expensive
State and if you choose to share my space, you need to share the cost. Otherwise, you are just another illegal alien!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote