View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 09:53 AM   #29
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
For $700 I can buy 4 regular batteries witch may last 4 years equal to 16 years of service. Are these batteries going to last that long? Sure they only weigh #20. I get that when some guys use 2. 6 volt golf cart batteries which weigh more than one 12 volt deep cycle battery from Walmart. The idea is nice but it is cost effective to go this route.

Another question how long do they last on one charge when boondocking?

It's a nice idea but expensive.
Those Walmart (or where ever you get your lead acid cells) can only go down to 50% rated capacity before you start damaging them. If you or the dealer runs them all the way down life is really shortened. LI batteries can be fully discharged with no ill effects.

So that single 100 Amp Hour LI = 2 100 Amp Hour lead acid. That LI is good for 3000-5000 cycles or about 15 years. Assuming you run them down about 350 times a year.

Not to mention no water levels to maintain.

So you would need 8 very well maintained, gingerly used lead acid batteries to equal 1 rode hard put away dry LI battery.

I am starting to rethink wanting to go with AGMs Especially if the BMS allows for straight swap out. Not needing to swap out the converter.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote