View Single Post
Old 01-16-2014, 02:13 AM   #5
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

If you read the recall release and that posted on Government sites there is no indication that Dodge is replacing both left and right outer tie rods. I read that as well. The Ram rep, said that they were going to replace the whole part now. I guess they don't send an updated notice or have not gotten to it. The lack of information the dealers are also able to provide with respect to exactly what is and is not being replaced under warranty is most frustrating.

The Left (driver side) tie rod can be replaced independent of the Right (passenger side) tie rod which includes the long heavy bar. This was what was bothering me about the price. The Left side provides the adjustment for toe in and is held on the large bar/tie rod from the Right side with the clamp shown in the picture. That is the end I assume I am getting and assumed was the one of concern.
The parts we have ordered are above the circled part in my picture, it is no way going to be the part that Ram is replacing, according to what I saw at the dealer. I wish it was.
I have ordered the Left side and if it is the correct one, I will be using it for the reasons Scott has mentioned, it has a grease nipple.

What I also find most frustrating is the seeming inability for anyone to assess the degree of concern we should have about a possible failure. Many owners have lots of miles on these trucks with no problems with the tie rods, exactly how concerned should we be.

Don't feel bad about the information you provided Scott, I knew what part I was getting and knew full well what I was not getting. I just hope the fellow was correct and it is correct for my truck. The good thing is the cost was not that much.

Looks like I will be starting my drive to Arizona on the 26th minus any warranty work having been done. There is always something to make life interesting and test our mettle.

scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote