View Single Post
Old 03-13-2009, 07:16 AM   #12
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
As was mentioned - do your homework! Since these are service contracts with a 3rd party, you better know something about that 3rd party. I typically avoid extended warranties, but have bought them on occasion. I meticulously track repair expenses and have found that I usually break even at best - but that is on a car, not an RV with its outrageously priced items such as fridge, heaters, and a/c. So maybe one would pay for itself on an RV.

Just so you know how important it is to check out the service contract company - I bought one for my Suburban several years ago. Not long after, the rear diff went up. The contract did pay for itself in one trip to the dealer! BUT, the next time I went to get a repair I found out the company had gone under, so my contract was worthless. GMC, not being a part of the contract, could do nothing to help me.

I always wondered how many people had just bought $1500 service contracts the week before the company went under. A few years later I got a letter notifying me of a class action suit against them, so I guess a lot of folks got burned. Sad part was, the company was HQ'd offshore, so there was no hope of recouping any money.

I pick up my new rig next week and am still debating, by the way...
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote