View Single Post
Old 03-30-2007, 05:43 AM   #7
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Some tornado safety tips when traveling through Oklahoma March-June.

1. Do not stop and get under an overpass. You will be sucked out when the tornado passes over. Four people found this out on May 3rd, 1999. It took 4 weeks to find the last victim.

2. Ask the campground if they have a safe place. Most here will give you a paper with safe rooms and tornado shelters located on a map. Most schools in Oklahoma have safe rooms after May 3rd.

3. Never try to out run a tornado. A vehicle is just as bad as an RV during severe weather. When covering the 1999 tornado I witnessed a camero which was wadded up into a 4 foot round ball. The only reason I knew it was a camero was a little piece of plastic left which said "camero."

4. If the tornado is bigger than an F-3...get underground!

5. This may be one of the most important. Get a weather radio. You can purchase one for a little of nothing at any wal-mart, radio shack or electronic store. I know Radio Shack will program them for you. Be sure you have the area's where you travel programed into the radio. The small fee of a $25 buck radio is a lot cheaper than a $10,000 funeral.

I am not trying to scare anyone I just want everyone to stay safe this season. If you are traveling through Oklhaoma you can also go to the Oklahoam Department of Transportations website and they have a listing of the stations to listen to in the area where your traveing as well as other information.

Stay Safe!
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote