View Single Post
Old 11-10-2019, 05:39 PM   #12
JamesD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10843
I've been living in my 5th wheel for 4+ years in temps even lower than -20, and wind chills almost -50.
For 0+ temps, run off your tanks, run the heat, use tank heaters if you have them, etc...
When temps are in the 20s at night, you won't notice much.
Teens, not a problem unless it doesn't get above freezing for days.
So you should have no problems for a short trip like that.

It's when you get high winds, and sub zero temps for days, things really like to freeze.
Dump valves, low point drains (where did my water go?), water filters, the fresh water line... I've seen all that freeze.
Put salt or RV anti-freeze in the waste tanks if you are going to be in temps like that for days, put insulation in your water station if it's not heated, dump daily if you can (trust me on this), and leave room in the fresh water tank for expansion.
I tried adding alcohol to the fresh water tank one year. The water tasted funny but it didn't freeze. (everclear)
The next year I rigged a hose from my outside shower connection to the water fill opening. Running a small amount of hot water through it kept the water line from freezing. I forgot to turn the water back on one night, so the water filter froze, and broke.
The fresh water line has frozen several times, and the ice pushed the hose back on the connector until it could suck some air.
Last year I couldn't dump the black tank for over a month, and had to use a portable toilet.
And last but not least, be prepared to use a lot of propane.
JamesD is offline   Reply With Quote