View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 02:25 AM   #10
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Allen, I hired into Pontiac Motors in 1968, and believe it or not, they were still doing many of the jobs the same as when that film was taken. Things have changed a lot since then though and car manufacturing doesn't look like that at all now. I will also say that the film shows many safety violations, and it was very common back then for men to loose fingers, hands and arms in some of that equipment, especially the sheet metal presses. You will also notice there weren't any women. Women weren't hired until WWII broke out and there weren't enough men to run the plants. As for your comment about doing the same thing day after day, it definitely isn't for everyone. I hired in with a dozen people, and by the end of the first week, over half had quit. I was lucky though and got into the apprentice program where I learned the Tool and Die trade, so not only was my job not repetitious, but I was well paid.
Tom, I also hired out at GM in Lansing and after 3 months of doing the repetitive thing I walked off the job to never return. I could not stand being couped up inside all the time and the constant same thing day after day. So I am one of them dozen you talk about. In reality if I hadn't been so young and dumb I should have seen the possibility of doing just what you did. Instead I walked out the door and walked in the door of the Grand Trunk RR and after 42 yrs of service with them I am now retired. Also worked there in Pontiac at the loading dock for the trucks going on rail.

Assembly line work isn't for everyone but it was a great paying job and was always secure until 2008, then all hell broke loose in MI.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote