View Single Post
Old 11-24-2017, 11:25 PM   #5
TrailTrackers
Established Member

M.O.C. #20852
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
Ref your edit:

Looking at both of our photos, I'm a little confused. Looks like there are more wires going leaving the junction box than there are arriving at the transfer switch!

This is how I think it should be wired at the transfer switch:

White = neutral leg 1
Blue = neutral leg 2
Black = Hot leg 1
Org = Hot leg 2
Bare copper = ground

I did not separate all the wiring in the junction box, so the photo is a little confusing. My trailer is at the dealer for service and I won't be able to verify the connections in the junction box for a week or two.

Of course this is no guarantee they used the same cabling in our units; probably did, but not a 100% guarantee. Your colors might be different.

Be very careful, you are dealing with high voltage. Don't fire (maybe literally) anything up until you are absolutely sure. I can do some more checking but not till I get my unit back.

Yep. I totally agree with the way you think the wiring should be here.
From the Onan I will:
Take both White wires and get an extra large nut to wire it together with the White/Blue pair in that box.
Take the Black & Black w/Yellow Stripe and wire them respectively with each of the Black & Red in that one pair from my picture.
Take the Green and wire it to the Bare & Black wires that are twisted together in that box.

It's odd that there is a Black wire twisted to that Bare wire though. Makes me wonder what the heck they did that for. Perhaps I should play it safe and drag the trailer down to the dealer before I fire up the generator to have them take a quick look. Not sure if they will, but it's worth a shot. Or maybe I'll see if I can contact a Montana Keystone technician and ask them.

Or... Better yet... Perhaps I'll just trace that wire back to the transfer box and see where it connects and figure it out for myself. I should be able to figure it out based on the schematics. Last thing I want to do is fry my brand new RV.
TrailTrackers is offline   Reply With Quote