View Single Post
Old 12-06-2018, 12:27 AM   #9
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
Welcome to the forum from Nebraska. I pretty much concur with what the others are telling you about while you are in the RV at the campground. But while on the road things can freeze up pretty fast. A couple of years ago we left Omaha in late Dec and headed South and stopped in Topeka, Ks for 2 days to celebrate Christrmas. We were winterized when we left Omaha and de-winterized when we arrived Topeka. After staying there for 2 days with the furnace on, we left on a morning when it was 9 degrees at 7AM. When we left Topeka at 10Am it was 20 deg. An hour later we stopped to used the RV bathroom and the pump was froze up. I ran the furnace for 15 minutes and the pump started running. Every hour when we stopped, had the same issue so I'd run the furnace for 10-15 mins. By the time we got to the Oklahoma border temps got above 32 and the problem was solved.

You have to map out your weather ahead of time and update it daily while you are traveling. If I was in Calif. and was going to hit cold weather and was going to be traveling in it for a couple of days or more, I would winterize at the last RV Park just before I hit the cold weather (below freezing). If you can, select RV Parks that have rest rooms and showers. Once out of the cold area, de-winterize.

If you are traveling in and out of numerous cold areas, 32 degrees is not going to bust any pipes. I've kinda had 28 degrees as a temp I didn't want to go below if there wasn't any heat in the RV.
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote