View Single Post
Old 04-26-2006, 11:39 AM   #13
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by virgil47

I think these class 5 and class 6 trucks make a lot os sense for what we are pulling. I posted the comments below in another thread and some of us have been bouncing it back and forth but I'd be interested in what the rest of you had to say.....

Convinced that I have overtaxed the limits of my old truck, I am looking at other alternatives and am wondering, why more of you don't go to the medium duty trucks or MDT's. Of course money is the first thing that would come to mind but my investigation says that I can buy USED, a very, very well appointed and certainly not worn out, class 6 Freightliner M2 or International 4400 with plenty of hp (330) for about the same as a new F350 dually diesel and tow up to 26000 lbs LEGALLY. Or you could make the same case with a class 5 with less capacity.

These trucks have essentially the same footprint as a F350 dually and since the front wheels line up with the outside rear dually, the turning radius is shorter that the F350 or 3500's.

I'm interested in why more of you haven't gone to MDT's.
I'll stay with my 2500HD D/A for the same reasons rvghostdriver already stated....
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rvghostdriver

I have not gone to MDT becasue it is not needed. Ford F250 and F350 have towing ratings and GCWR higher than any Montana. MDT is harder to park and to drive in town. MDT will not go on narrow scenic roads and many other places. MDT is overkill. That is my opinion though To each his own.
I pulled my 2955RL for over 2 1/2 years with out incident. The 2500HD D/A has all the pulling power required and has had no problems stopping the Monty. I've had numerous incidents where an emergency stop was required and the 2500 performed to my complete satisfaction.

HOWEVER if I was pulling a rig like Dave's Cambridge I might consider the MDT but only if a 3500 SRW D/A wouldn't suffice or if I had more money than I knew what to do with.

Again as rvghostdriver already stated...MDT is overkill and that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote