Thread: New Tires
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2019, 07:21 PM   #15
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry welliver View Post
My experience with tires tells me do not put anything less that the manufacture of the unit rec. If anything go one higher if possible. Yes you may pay a bit more but how much will it cost you if you are broke down on the road. Talk to the manufacture of you unit and see what they recommend. I put tire that were not manufactured in the USA and had tire failure several times. It causes a great deal of damage to your unit when one lets loos. Just saying
Technically an owner is not violating the trailer manufacturers recommendations by using a replacement tire of the same designated size with a higher load capacity.

Here is one with a lot of load ranges. ST235/80R16 is a designated size. It provides a standardized load capacity for each load range. They are calculated at 5 PSI increments thru the whole set of load ranges from LRD to LRG. Therefore, the vehicle certification label is not compromised if it has that tire size designation..

If your OE wheels and their valve stems are rated for the higher PSI ratings necessary to take advantage of the increased reserve load capacities of a higher load ranged tire, go for it. You cannot overload the wheel without overloading the axle.

But, there is such a thing as "over kill". IMO, that's anything that provides load capacity reserves of more than 20%.

(Vehicle manufacturers do not mention brands on vehicle certification requirements. Maybe in a sales pitch or brochure but not on certification. Theoretically, the tire size designation on the certification label can be satisfied with any brand with the same size designation).
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote