View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 10:06 AM   #29
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb27537 View Post
We built our retirement home on the lake in '96. Boat dock out front. Life is good. However after 4 years of lake living, picking up rocks, raking leaves, fishing and all else that goes with being retired and living at the lake, we sold the house, the boat, the motorcycles, the new truck, most of the tools, the new furniture and bought another new truck, a new 5th wheel and became fulltimers.

That was in 2000. Fast forward to 2010, I needed a 3rd back surgery. Bought a small place in Mo, had surgery, that winter back south for winter. Kept the house in Mo. for6-7 years. There about 6 weeks in the spring and 6 weeks in the fall. Spent winters south, summers out west somewhere.

2 years ago we bought a single wide Mobile Home in deep south Texas. 7 miles from the Progresso, MX crossing. In a gated 55+ park, we still travel 4-6 months a year. A nice patio area, a nice shed/shop to tinker in, wife has her sewing/office room and a nice kitchen. Life is good.

The 10 years we spent fulltiming were the best years of our 49 years together. Next March will be our 50th, next summer we are doing Wy, Mt, and Id again. The plan is to get up and turn left. And have Prime Rib at the Two Dot Bar and Grill. (google it)

During the fulltime years we had home bases in Escapees RV Co-op's for a few years, just to much politics for us so we sold them. We have used the Escapees Mail Service since 1993 when we joined Escapees. When we had our house in MO, it was our residence, we were domiciled in Texas. We voted in Texas and tagged the vehicles in Texas.

We have stored some stuff for a couple of years. Storage becomes a anchor. It ties you to your "stuff" Furniture either give it to the kids, or goodwill, same for everything else. Kids and G-kids. Kids are close to their 50's. G-Kids are starting to drive. They are busy with their phones. No time for "old people" So like the George Strait song, "Just Give it Away".

Jim
Wow, that story hit home. I to have just finished recuperation from my 3rd back surgery, that's the reason for the early retirement. Also I forgot to say in my first post, but we have a single wide park model with a nice covered deck over in a park in Gold country hear in Ca. We are still looking into selling it. But now that the park has changed owners, anyone wanting to buy our trailer has to jump through hoops to get accepted by the park. We may end giving it away to a family member if it won't sell. Also I'm with you on the storage, that's the wife, she's having a hard time letting go of things that have no sentimental value?? (Patio furniture for example)a Were working on that. As far as grand kids ours are toddler to mid-teens, something that we both have decided can't affect our decision how we live our lives. As someone hear pointed out we, or the wife could always hop on a plane and go see the kids. I to have a life time collection of tools, as long as I can still use them I can't sell them. (YET) I guess I'm leaning towards building a barn/storage for my tools and such on my acreage in Washington, which is completely off grid. My dad and I payed cash for it in 1992 for a family retreat his ashes are spread there, and since he passed 17 years ago Shelley and I are the only family that use or want to go there, Taxes are $300 a year. so that is what I would like to consider my home base?? Even now we spend at least a month every summer boondocking there, and we both love it. But with the snow and below zero temps. in the winter I don't think the wife will ever be there except May through Sept. But a barn would allow for free storage of tools, boat (lots of lakes close by, pacific is 4.5 hours away) and a small tractor. Shelley and I love reading your stories. our house will sell in a week once we put it on the market (very hot market in our town) We'er still sorting through all the crap that we have gathered all these years.