View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #1
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Keystone Dealer Refused to Service My Rig

I mentioned this on a thread I've been having about a problem I'm having with a slide but thought that I would repeat it here to see if this is an isolated incident.

I have a 2012 Montana 3455sa.

I bought it 7 months ago at Camping World in Charleston, SC (6hrs from me)

I've developed a hydraulic fluid leak on the Living Room Slide piston - the rubber seal is deformed and pushing out of the center of the piston around the ram... Obviously the piston is bad and needs to be replaced.

Knowing that the nearest Camping World is 3 hrs from here I contact Keystone to try and find a closer "authorized" service center. They give me 3 names. Two I immediately take off the list because I know their reputations from friends... That leaves me with Crisp RV in Chocowinity, NC. I know they are supposed to have a decent reputation and are about 90 minutes from here - so I call them and get connected to Greg Crisp the Service Manager (and part owner I assume).

I explain the whole I have a 2012 Keystone Montana that I bought at Camping World in Charleston, SC etc etc... Explain what I've found and tell them I'd like to schedule a time to bring it in for a warranty repair.

Mr. Crisp replies that he will not do any warranty work (even though he's a Keystone Dealer) on any unit that was purchased from a Camping World.

He then goes into this tirade about how Camping World is trying to put the independent dealer out of business, that they have unethical business practices etc.

When he finally stopped ranting long enough for me to get a word in I politely mention that it's a shame that they are going to make a customer pay the price for a dispute that he is having with Camping World. By this time I've already decided that even if he changed his mind I wouldn't get the work done there for fear of what he might do to my rig.

He went back into his rant telling me that now that I got my cheap price at Camping World let's see how I like their service. He continues about how Camping World is the Evil Empire (my words) and again when he stopped long enough I mentioned that I was going to contact Keystone and let them know that a Keystone dealer was refusing to perform Warranty work.... at which point he said "have a nice day" and hung up on me.

I was never impolite and really... Besides explaining my situation initially I only got to utter two sentences.

WTF?

So now I have an appointment a week from now to drag it 3hrs away to Camping World outside of Raleigh, NC.. The folks there said that they hope I'm not in a rush as when they look at it they then have to get keystone to approve it and by the time that happens another week has gone by so expect them to have it abut 3 weeks. Meaning it will be a month from now till I can get it back... I guess no trip to the mountains this year to see the leaves.

I never had any warranty work done on my last rig.... Is this normal?

It sure isn't like taking my Ford in for service that's for sure.

I think I need to move to a new state!
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote