View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 01:54 PM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
lawman - LOL, that's why the first word in the post was "almost". The task I did showed the job was technically possible. To meet the commercial (legal?) aspects a recertification is needed. But for personal use this is not required. So far I have achieved the technical aspects by using Ford parts that meet the increase in weight ratings and I will complete the technical aspects when I acquire the appropriate wheels and tires that meet the weight ratings I seek. According to the Ford databases for my F-250 VIN and a F-350 VIN with the same features I am pretty confident I have done this correctly.

Barry - I understand what you are saying, but the axles are fine. The axles, brakes, etc. were the same according to the Ford guy. Go figure. Please keep in mind we are only talking about my TV configuration.

Bob - When I bought my F-250 in 2006, at the time, the price difference between an F-250 and F-350 was $4,000 because there were some special rebates at the time. It didn't make sense to pay $4,000 for only 1,500 lbs sinced both trucks met the RV weights on paper. Unfortunately, even though the actual weights for the RV were fine, the TV was overweight because of the pin weight and I should have gone with the F-350! I did NOT want to buy a new truck if only adding some things to make my F-250 comparable to the F-350 would do.

There are steel and aluminum wheels. I am seeking any stock 18" wheels that were available on a new 2006 F-350 with the ratings I seek. The ratings, offsets, etc. will be met. You are right, I might be overestimating the weight differences between the wheels, but they are larger than what I've got, therefore have to be heavier - I will be changing out all the wheels including the spare. The wheels will be part of the scale weight. When Gross weight is measured, the wheels and tire must be considered.

Please note, all this work and information pertains to my truck upgrade. Just like others bring up, other makes and models might require additional considerations including it's not possible.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote