View Single Post
Old 10-05-2009, 06:46 PM   #9
RidgecrestDad
Established Member

M.O.C. #8969
Art, This part confuses me. Maybe you can clear it up. If the tires each handle 3195# or 3600# each based on the tire size/rating, then the axel total weight rated capacity needs to be either roughly 6400# or 7200# which matches the rated axel rating of a F250 or F350. So as I see it, you should need a stronger axel if you add more weight to the bed and tires to move up to a F350 rating. Does that jive with your thoughts and your Ford parts guy info? Additionally, the Ford manual suggests that a F350 can handle more load in the bed, yet the combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (the trailer and truck weight) for towing is 500# less than a F250. This makes sense to me in that the brakes can only stop so much weight; so if you add more in the bed, the weight translates thru the axel to tires (and the brakes) and hence reduced stopping power. So, though more goes in the bed, you still need to consider the overall weight rolling down the road. Does that make sense, or am I confused even more?
RidgecrestDad is offline   Reply With Quote