View Single Post
Old 10-05-2009, 10:25 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Hi Barry and bw2 - The answers to your questions are:

- So far I have only changed the leaf spring pack by adding the extra overload spring, a spacer, and some brackets that the overload spring comes into contact to work correctly. The spring pack sits between the axle and the frame.

- The axles didn't need changing nor did the differential when compared between an F-250 versus an F-350 for the weight rating I needed. I made this comparison with at least two other F-350 owners against the Ford database using VIN numbers. One of the owners worked at the Ford parts desk, so I felt comfortable with the info.

- The 7000 lb rating is for an F-350 and the 6100 is for an F-250 right off the VIN database the label on the truck's door pillar. Besides the leaf spring pack and the wheels and tires, everything else was the same (axles, differential, brakes, etc). I do plan to reweigh my truck, to confirm the 40 extra lbs of hardware, plus the extra weight of the larger tires and wheels when I get them (about another 50 lbs). But to gain 800 to 900 lbs capacity in the rear end, it should be worth it and matches the weight problem I was seeing with my particular rig combination.

- For the tires I am looking at E rated tires that support over 3,600 lbs each. The current 17" tire size I have now uses E-rated tires rated to a max of 3195 lbs (over 300 lbs too light).

- After I change out for 18" wheels and tires I will take the truck back to the dealer for adjusting the speedometer and the transmission. The larger tires are offered as an option to an F-250 when you purchase the truck, so I expect the Ford dealer knows how to adjust them accordingly. It is not difficult nor expensive but I have no knowledge on doing this myself so I'll leave it to Ford.

Thanks for your questions. I hope this info helps.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote