View Single Post
Old 10-20-2006, 01:21 PM   #6
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Just built a large patio out of pavers. Mine was New England style. They are about 3 inches thick and would make an excellent drive path. In fact some of the new homes uses pavers inplace of cement for driveways.

What you do is lay down a fine leveling sand that you can get by the pickup load from a rock and sand company. After you lay it down thick you get some metal conduit and lay the conduit(2) in parallel for the length you want. Level the conduit. Then take a board and lay it on the conduit and smooth the leveling sand much like you would with cement. If you make a mistake just start over. When your done lay the pavers in the pattern you want. I recommend a 3 inch deep of leveling sand under the pavers and that will give you excellent weed control. After put a cement border around the pavers. Low so you can't see it. Just enough to hold them from moving. Thats it, pretty simple

Down here in Florida I can get a 2700 lb pallet of pavers for about 250. The leveling sand runs about 15-20 a truckload. Never have to worry about a cracked driveway again. Just replace a single paver.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote