Thread: Propane supply?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2014, 06:46 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Besides the two upright 30# cylinders in the Monty, I have been known to carry as many as five 20# cylinders upright in my tool box. The tool box is enclosed, but it locks and prevents them from being stolen. If you know the reasons for many of these "rules" then you can successfully modify them to suit your needs. For example, I store my cylinders in the tool box, because they don't stay there for very long. If it's summer then I carry them in the open truck bed with a locking cable. It's rare but I have been known to drive with my rig's propane bottles open to suppy fuel for my refrigerator. But then, I turn off the propane AND the devices when refueling (again, this has been rare) or gonna enter a long tunnel. In these cases, it's not the open propane that is a concern, it's the sparking from the devices trying to light themselves when they are on (a fridge, furnace, even a water heater). There are tanks that store upright and some that store on their side. You must know what's appropriate for your respective tanks.

I don't believe I carry so much propane that I should be concerned about a limit and they are all upright tanks. It's more about the condition of the tanks which are checked by the attendants refilling them. I've had one 30# bottle completely fail so it couldn't be refilled (replaced by the dealer under warranty), and another 20# that was difficult but the attendant whacked it a couple of times with a rubber mallet and then it worked. No problems since then either. These bottles do have expiration dates and a properly trained attendant will check this. I go to a welding shop for refilling and the attendants are very good at checking these things.

The best answer is to check with the state or province you plan to boondock. This might be one of those things thas is controlled from state to state or province to province.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote