View Single Post
Old 04-07-2008, 03:51 PM   #26
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Hi Margee, Sorry I've been silent for so long. A lot has happened during the past several months. I now have a MAN in my life (had you heard?) as of September and a new motorhome as of January. We're having a great time. But our travels will take us to my home base of Hart Ranch in Rapid City, SD for Memorial Day this year, so I won't be able to attend the rally at Lake Siskiyou. I missed it last year because I was getting the first MH set up, buying a car, etc. Maybe next year. I do miss you guys, and I love that place! You really started something when you organized the first western MOC rally there, didn't you? It has taken on a life of its own and become a wonderful MOC tradition.

Good for you, taking the Montana out on your own and having Doug join you later. He's right -- when people see a woman handling a rig by herself they know not to mess with her! LOL! But watch those batteries. Discharging them below about 12.2 or 12.0 volts (depending on type, lower for AGM batteries--more info for anyone interested; in fact, we could do a whole thread on solar/batteries/boondocking) could damage them permanently and cause them not to fully recharge. Do you have a battery meter so you know the level of charge? And any solar panels or a charge controller?

Robin, you sound like a cool lady, motorcycle rider, too! I'll bet you can handle anything you tackle. Just make up your mind you can do it, and go for it!

Everyone else--Helen (I met you briefly in Goshen), Cathy, Colleen, Jan, Carol, Patty (the latter two know me well), Betsy (just saw your post and understand your limitations, but you might try some *slow* backing or driving on low-traffic areas) and everyone not named (hope I didn't miss anybody), but any woman RVer -- just know that you can do it! I always say it doesn't take testosterone to back a 5th wheel or dump and flush a black tank. In fact, many women do a better job because they take it *slow* and careful. And the time to learn what you don't know is NOT when your man has a medical or other problem and there's an emergency. Take a lesson from Sandy Baleria. She knew HOW to do things, but wasn't totally comfortable with them because she hadn't done them on a routine, daily basis. And my partner broke three blades on the ceiling fan after his wife died because she always positioned it before bringing in the slides. Try trading places with your partner a few times, doing each others' jobs, like some women have posted elsewhere, then check each other. It will make you much more knowledgeable and confident.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote