View Single Post
Old 01-13-2014, 01:23 PM   #18
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Although I had not received any notification of the recall I decided to visit my local Dodge dealer this afternoon and check to see if I was indeed on the recall.

Well yes I am and should receive a letter sometime this month. I enquire as to what exactly is being replaced and am told it is the both the left and right tie rods. No they do not have any parts to repair any vehicles involved in the recall and have no idea when they might receive them, expecting to get them on a one or two at a time bases, perhaps a shipment each week, so the repairs are spread around all the dealers.

When I ask how concerned I should be about the possibility of failure I am told they know of several that have failed but have happened during slow moving maneuvers. What about maneuvering with a 39 ft 5th wheel behind I asked, to which I am told they don't know when or why it happens. My information is recorded and I am put on the list with the rest of the people waiting for the parts.

Upon leaving the dealership I went to a long established front end alignment shop that I have had work done at in the past. The owner spent time on the phone and was only able to find aftermarket availability on one of the two tie rods, nothing from Moog, nothing from Spicer and another brand I cannot remember. The owner made a call to the Moog hot line but due to time differences they were closed for the day.

It appears the right hand tie rod is fairly readily available, the left one which is the largest and most expensive was not available from any supplier.

I will stop in the repair shop tomorrow morning after he has talked to the hot line and see what he has discovered.

I am wondering if anyone has had any success in finding the left hand tie rod assembly.

We are about to embark on a 3000 mile trip, I do not have a warm and fuzzy feeling about the possibility of a breakdown 2000 miles from home and no parts available in North America.

I love my Dodge and have been involved in recalls before with Ford but have never encountered what is now happening with Chrysler. It is outrageous and dangerous.

If I get my recall notice before leaving for Arizona I will most definitely be contacting Chrysler and I will not have kind works to say.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote