Thread: Pin Weight
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 06:56 AM   #20
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
Oh I realize now that you have the old model that doesn't have the large area with the pull-out tray that CAN be loaded to the point of being too heavy. Too much weight on rear is too much weight. Doesn't matter if that area is a "den" or a kitchen, BR, etc. But what does this kid know? I only logged 3 million SAFE miles.
Right you are. Many may be too heavy and not know it.
My weight capacity has never and hopefully will never be an issue. hitch vertical towing weight = 5,000 lb, truck rear axle GVWR = 9,750 lb, and after having weighed in December, it looks like my rear truck margin is 2,800 lb. So yes, I could load a lot more crap in the RV and add over 1,000 lb to the pin and still be in spec. I'm just wondering why I'm seeing a fair number of posts that have broken frame/pin welds and if these folks are over or imbalanced loaded. It's possible that some of these failures might have been preventable. I've even considered taking the outside TV out so crap could be stowed there (there's room for a couple of cases of canned drinks or shorty bottled water) and it's right over the front axle. That would help balance the kitchen side higher weight. We don't full time (yet) and I think I have all the tools and other "stuff" loaded now.

One other note. Looking at my weighing record, I see that my trailer rear axle weight margin is ~800 lb. We had very little in the slide out rear storage in December. Some suggested moving some stuff to that area. That would simply force the rear trailer axle to get closer to the 7,000 lb max rating. Especially if the added stuff is way out near the back. My goal is to stay safe and inside limits. I suspect that many folks, especially new to dragging a 5r, do not get their trailers weighed. I know I'm preaching to the choir here but all should read good info at http://rvsafety.com/