Thread: Generator
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 07:12 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
That's more than twice what you need. At 50 amps you only need up to a 6000 watt or probably even 5500 watt generator. Look at the run rate ratings not the peak ratings and if a 5500 watt peak rated generator supports about 5200 watts of run rating then a 14,000 watt rated can probably support TWO rigs off this same generator easily, provided it had the proper connections (two 50 amp connections).

The disadvantage to this generator, is it high rating when in a campground and the fact that it IS overkill. The noise alone might draw unwanted attention or drive you nuts. There's also a possible concern with sensitive electronics inside your rig, but if the rig is connected to this generator, you might be okay. Comments from an electrical expert to discuss the cleanliness about the power sine wave will be warranted about now.

If it were me, I'd use that beast at the house as a backup and use smaller & cleaner power generator for the rig. To answer your original question, as far as power needs are concerned, this generator would have NO problem supplying the power. You would still need a bonded power cable and hope the power sine wave does no damage to the devices plugged in at the rig.

I currently use two Honda EU2000 connected in parallel which provides about 3300 watts of run rate or enough to comfortably run a 30 amp rig. If I wanted 50 amp, then I'd buy a triple connect parallel cable and add another EU2000 (6000 total peak watts or about 5000 watts run rate). If one currently has NO generator, then between 5500 to 7000 watt generator is warranted. 14,000 watts is WAY more than needed.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote