Thread: Satellite dish
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 04:48 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Peggy & Jack,
I'm not sure why Dish cannot get the sports package with a portable antenna. They only use 3 satellites (well East cost has a few also) 110, 119, and 129. I have dish network. Although I do not subscribe to the sports packages I do have HD.

I have the Carry Out antenna. In my case, it comes just before the Peanut Butter invention. I can have it set up in less than 10 minutes, and there is no need for a second try. I used to struggle and struggle and struggle with the portable dish, and in some cases I just said forget it and gave up. Dish Network setup is more critical than DirectTV, or so I have heard.

I have the VIP722 receiver. I just pull it out of the stick house and place it in the RV, as many do. Dish would like to have you rent a new receiver for $5 a month. Since I'm not connected to the phone line when I take it on the road, they sometimes charge me $5 a month until I connect the phone line back at the stick house. I do not subscribe to Distant Networks for the National Feeds. I'll use the antenna or cable, and if it's not available, it's not a big deal as most episodes of what I watch can be downloaded and viewed on the big screen.

A splitter will not work on the Winegard Carry Out. It will work on a portable dish antenna. I used the splitter provided with the VIP722 receiver at the stick house. The advantages are being able to watch independent stations on two different televisions. We typically watch the same stations so we do not need dual receivers. The Winegard Carry Out has two outputs, and yes the second output would have to run to a second receiver, or the dual input of a receiver. I have not tried the dual input, but I'm going to do so soon. The Winegard Carry Out is a single LNB. Whenever you tune to a channel, it will automatically switches to the correct satellite. I don't fully understand yet how a second output off of the Carry Out functions.

On your RV you most likely have a "loop" somewhere in the line. This loop feeds both television by going through a TV splitter. There are some drawings on this forum for some typical wiring instructions.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote